Home Page

Stockton House School

A nature and nurture approach to active learning

SEND - Hampshire Local Offer

1. How does the setting/school/college know if children/young people need extra help and what should I do if I think my child/young person may have special educational needs?
All the children attending Stockton House School are allocated a Key Person. This person will observe and record the development of your child in conjunction with the early Year’s Foundation Stage. Other staff members in the absence of the Key Person will also record observations made during your child’s session. If your child is in the Nursery part of our school, the Key Person will carry out an ‘Initial Assessment’ (from 2 years old or three weeks after they start) and the results of this would be discussed in a meeting with you, the Key Person.
We would hope to identify if there is any developmental delay within any of the areas at the time of this assessment. Any areas which may show a cause for concern will initially be discussed with you and your child’s Key Person privately. Depending on the result of the meeting, the Key Person will agree certain interventions with you to be put in place to help enhance your child’s development. This will be noted on the SEN (Special Educational Needs) paperwork which is kept in the respective classroom and you will be updated on the progress of your child’s development on a regular basis, either verbally or in the Home Link Book (if this has been agreed). The older children in the Nursery and the children in Kindergarten will be observed as a matter of course. The Assess, Plan, Do, Review approach will be instigated. The same process will apply if any developmental delays are observed, e.g. a meeting will be arranged with you to discuss and enhance your child’s development. If necessary, the school’s Special Educational Needs Coordinator (SENCo), or our 1:1 Special Educational Needs and Disabilities Support Worker (SEND) will also be informed and may be asked to observe your child in their classroom. Then ultimately the Specials Educational Needs Coordinator (SENCo) will arrange a visit by the Area Inclusion Coordinator (Area InCo), who may then advise to involve any other outside agencies if required. If your child is starting our school and you have highlighted to us that he/she has additional needs or an existing diagnosis, and has interventions/support already in place from a previous setting or outside agencies, we will endeavour to continue with the required support within the constraints of the school.

2. How will early years setting/school/college staff support my child/young person?
Once your child has gone through the above process and it has been identified that he or she is not making satisfactory progress, your child’s Key Person, the Special Educational Needs Coordinator (SENCo) and yourself will then have a meeting to discuss what activities/outcomes to put in place. A ‘Support Plan’ will then be raised and Interventions/Support through activities will be agreed for your child to carry out at our school and/or at home. The plan is ‘Unique’ for your child and will inform
you of the activities and outcomes. This plan can be geared to most areas of your child’s development. At regular times during your child’s sessions the Key Person and/or the 1:1 Special Educational Needs and Disabilities Worker (SEND) or Special Educational Needs Coordinator (SENCo) will work with your child to carry out the agreed activities. The results of the activities will be recorded on a document called ‘Work carried out to coincide with Support Plan’ and in the progress section of the Support Plan and be revised by the review date. Your child’s Key Person will update you regularly on their progress and in their Home Link Book (if this has been agreed). The Key Person, Special Educational Needs Coordinator (SENCo) and Early Year’s Manager will be available to discuss any concerns you may have. Alongside the ‘Support Plan’ the Special Educational Needs Coordinator (SENCo) will raise a ‘Request for Individual Child Support Form’. This form will be completed in case our school has to involve any outside agencies. The school works closely with the Services for Young Children and at any time with your written permission if your child is not making the expected progress, our school may ask for additional advice through one of these professional agencies. We are confident that the procedures that we have in place are successful because of the good relationships and positive feedback that we have from our local primary/infant schools in the area.

3. How will the curriculum be matched to my child's/young person's needs?
A record of your child’s achievements and progress is recorded regularly in their Learning Journal with their ‘Next Steps’. These can be obtained from ten-minute observations, short observations from general play, adult led planned activities or activities that the children have initiated etc. From this your child will be planned for individually in conjunction with the Early Year’s Foundation Stage. Your child’s Key Person will frequently Assess, Plan, Do and Review their progress. If the Key Person identifies that your child would benefit from occasional one to one support, this would then be put into place and recorded on the SEN document in the classroom. The Key Person will listen to you and your child’s requests and opinions regarding the education of your child wherever possible. This can be conveyed verbally, or by the Home Link Book or by the respective Poppy/Butterfly etc. placed on the ‘Ideas and Comments Tree’ in the individual classrooms.


4. How will both you and I know how my child/young person is doing and how will you help me to support my child's/young person's learning?
Your child’s Learning Journal is where we record the progress of your child and is available for you to read at any time, we also ask you to read and sign it termly. From this you can discuss the progress of your child and any concerns or requests you may have. During your child’s time at our school you can talk to their Key Person briefly at any time, or if you feel you need a longer conversation then you can arrange a meeting in private. Our school also holds an informal evening; you can bring along
other members of the family where your child can share their learning experiences and a formal Parents' Evening. Throughout your child’s time at our school we have occasions when we invite members of the family into our school to play and take part in activities; however we appreciate your help at any time, which can be arranged with a member of staff in the respective class.

5. What support will there be for my child's/young person's overall well being?
There are policies in place to cover our medical procedures. All our staff are aware of these. If special care is required for your child a member of staff will be trained up appropriately. Our staff are First Aid Paediatrically-trained. Care Plans are in each classroom for respective children. All medication that is administered is recorded. Staff members in our school carry out a ‘Risk Assessment’ in the classroom every morning to ensure the room is safe. A ‘Risk Assessment’ of our garden is also carried out every morning. Outdoor and indoor toys are disposed of if they are broken or damaged and existing toys are washed on a regular basis. Other outdoor equipment such as bicycles and the grounds are maintained by our ‘Maintenance staff’. All our children are encouraged to wash their hands before snack, lunch and any cooking activities, and wash their hands after going to the toilet and when they come in from the garden. They are also encouraged to wipe their own noses (if appropriate), wash their hands and dispose of the tissue in the special bin provided. All our staff are DBS checked (Disclosure and Barring Service), a service which checks the suitability of our staff to work with children, also once a year our staff have to sign a declaration that their personal circumstances have not changed. All our staff are regularly updated in respect of ‘Safeguarding’ and carry out the appropriate Safeguarding course. Our Policies outline the up to date procedures. If your child has an allergy, this will be highlighted by displaying their photograph with their allergy or medical issue in the office, dinner hall, kitchen and their classroom, if your child has a special dietary need this will be catered for to the best of our ability and is also displayed in our kitchen. All our kitchen staff have the relevant ‘Health and Hygiene and Safety’ certificates. Support for your child will be by their respective Key Person initially, Special Educational Needs Coordinator (SENCo), Deputy Manager and Manager. If your child has ‘Behavioural’ concerns, your child’s Key Person will make you aware of the problems and with your permission inform the Special Educational Needs Coordinator (SENCo), and put an ‘Antecedents, Behaviour, Consequences, Communication, (ABCC Chart) into place. This records what is happening with your child to find out what may be triggering the behaviour. From the results of our findings changes may be made to the environment, friendship group or activity to try and alleviate the problem. In our school we will also identify children with Speech and Language issues and if necessary, your child will take part in a one to one session with our Special Educational and Disabilities Needs Support Worker (SENDco) or given support in their respective classroom. If we feel that your child is not making adequate progress, we will consult with you to refer them to Speech and
Language Therapy Services for Hampshire. Our Policies outline the procedures for Clearing up Bodily Fluids and how to keep your child safe, using Social Media, collection or Non-Collection of your child and Confidentiality always.

6. What specialist services and expertise are available at or accessed by the setting / school / college?
Our school is supported by the Children’s Services which include the Area Inclusion Coordinator (Area Inco), Portage (an organisation which will help in the home and at our school), Thomas Outreach Programme (TOPs) (an organisation which will also help in the home and at our school), Family Support Service, Speech and Language Therapists, Educational Phycologists, Occupational Therapists, Ethnic Minorities and Travellers Achievements Service (EMTAS) and local Children’s Centres . Most of our school’s staff are qualified to Level 3 in Early Year’s Education and Makaton. Our Special Educational Needs Coordinator (SENCo) has completed the relevant SENCo training/plus, Makaton, Thomas Training, Hart Language Project, Portage Training, Level 2 in Understanding Autism, in-house autism training and is an Ambassador in Fleet for Autism. Our one to one Special Educational Needs and Disabilities Coordinator (SEND) has completed the relevant SENCo training, Thomas Training, Portage Training, Level 2 in Understanding Autism, in-house autism training is an Ambassador in Fleet for Autism, Level 3 in Special Educational Needs and Ascentis Level 3 award in Speech and Language Support for (3-5) years olds (Elklan) training. Our Deputy has also completed the Hart Language Project and Advanced Safeguarding.

7. What training have the staff supporting children and young people with SEND had? Are any being trained currently?
Several of our staff have many years of experience in childcare. Our Manager has a BA in (Early Years' Professional Studies (EYPS), our Deputy Manager has a Batchelor of Education (BEd) degree and has completed the Hart Language Project, one member of staff is Level 6, one level 5, one Level 4, and most of our other staff are Level 3 Early Years' trained, with the remainder Level 2. Most of the staff have been Makaton trained and the Kindergarten staff have all attended Autism in-house training. All staff within the classrooms can support children with special educational needs under the guidance of the Special Educational Needs Coordinator (SENCo). Our Special Educational Needs Coordinator (SENCo) has the relevant SEN/Plus Training, Makaton, The Thomas Training, Inclusion Training, Positive Approach to Challenging Behaviour Training, Connect, Reflect and Grow Training, Speech and Language Training, Hart Language Project, Portage Training, Level 2 in Understanding Autism, in-house autism training and is an Ambassador in Fleet for Autism and attends the regular Support Group Meetings held by the Area Inclusion Coordinator (INCo) in Hart. Our one to one Special Educational Needs and Disabilities
Coordinator (SEND) has completed the relevant SENCo training, Thomas Training, Portage Training, Level 2 in Understanding Autism, in-house autism training is an Ambassador in Fleet for Autism, Level 3 in Special Educational Needs and Ascentis Level 3 award in Speech and Language Support for (3-5) years olds (Elklan) training.
Our strengths as a school are in Speech and Language and autism. Two members of staff completed the Hart Language Project and gained a wealth of knowledge and experience which has been passed to all staff. Our SENCo has delivered the Challenging Behaviour Course to most of the staff so that they are aware of how to tackle any issues. I feel further training is required in Makaton for some staff. Selected members of staff have had Epipen training, Diabetic Training and Cochlear Implant training and training in respect of hearing aids.

8. How will my child/young person be included in activities outside this classroom including school trips?
Activities outside our school are usually within the local area. If our outing includes walking and your child is unable to do this, then we will ask you to provide a pushchair and your child’s Key Person will take care of your child. Similarly, if your child can only walk a short distance, we will ask you to provide a pushchair. Our school will liaise with the families via email or by telephone if required. Most trips you will be provided with a consent form to sign which will allow your child to attend the outing. If the outing is outside the local area and we need parental help with transport, you will be sent a consent form asking permission for your child to travel in another parent’s car and provide a suitable car seat. (Your child will be accompanied by a member of staff). Parents and carers are always invited on our school trips and a safety talk is given to your child and the parents and carers helping before we leave. Our ratio for trips is usually one adult to two children; however, if your child has special needs it will be on a basis of one to one. We ask parents and carers to inform us of your child’s interests via our ‘Communication Trees’ in the classrooms, in your child’s Home Link Book or by word of mouth. In our classrooms we could supply a visual timetable or other visuals for your child and there is a timetable in each classroom for children to follow. Any change to the routine will be displayed on the timetable.

9. How accessible is the setting / school / college environment?
Our school is accessible for wheelchairs and pushchairs. There is a disabled toilet and nappy changeable facilities. Our school’s auditory and visual environment is fair to good as there are five individual classrooms which are not too large. If specialist equipment is required, our school would seek specialist advice from the relevant service. If your child requires one to one or a small group activity our staff would use the vacant classroom which is available one day a week, the small room attached
to the nursery, the hall or the ‘Quiet room’ attached to one of the Kindergarten classes. Our school also has a large hall which is available at different times during the week to carry out any physical activities if the weather is poor and they cannot be actioned outside. We have a visual timetable in each classroom and most of the staff are trained to use the basic Makaton signing. If necessary, our school will seek help from Ethnic Minorities and Travellers Achievement Service (EMTAS) to communicate with parent’s whose first language is not English to ensure they are able to understand what the school offers. This group would also be contacted for your child if we require any further help with language difficulties. If your child’s first language is not English the relevant classroom will ensure that there are books, CDs, displays and culturally appropriate items wherever possible in your child’s language. Our main garden is accessed by steps, therefore for a wheelchair, pushchair or a child with a frame your child would enter it by a side door. The garden is a large area laid out to grass, soft areas and an Astro turf area. The only area in the garden which cannot be accessed by a wheelchair, pushchair or frame is our digging area under the tree. Our Nursery part of the school has a small area mainly laid out to paving slabs and Astro turf which is accessible for your child if they are in a wheelchair, pushchair or using a frame.


10. How will the setting/school/college prepare and support my child/young person to join the setting/school/college or the next stage of education and life?
You will find the details in our ‘Settling in and Key Person Policy’. Our school will arrange taster sessions usually to fit in with the days and sessions that your child will be attending our school and at slightly different times so that they experience snack time and playing in the outside areas. There are usually two sessions. But more can be arranged for your child if necessary. On these sessions you and your child will meet the Key Person, and you will get a chance to talk to her and ask any questions. If your child is transferring from our Nursery into Kindergarten, they will visit their new classroom on several occasions and meet their new teachers. There is an evening prior to your child moving to Kindergarten for parents so that you can see your child’s new classroom and meet their new teachers. If your child is transferring to a mainstream infant school our Special Educational Needs Co-ordinator (SENCo) will arrange a transition meeting with the new school. This will include yourself and any other professionals who have been involved in your child’s care. If necessary special visits for your child out of the normal school hours will be arranged initially and then your child will visit will all their peers. If your child is transferring to a specialist school our Special Educational Needs Co-ordinator (SENCo) will arrange a transition meeting with the new school. This will include yourself and any other professionals who have been involved in your child’s care. Arrangements will then be made for your child to visit the school. Prior to this your child will be shown the appropriate school transition book if available. Relevant paperwork on your child will be shared with the school, any strategies that have worked and resources that have been used.

11. How are the setting's/school's/college's resources allocated and matched to children's/young people's special educational needs?
Your child will receive 15 hours per week funded of free early year’s education the term following their third birthday. We also offer the 30-hour funding if you qualify for this. Our school also includes children who are in receipt of the two-year-old funding which is available for families on economic and non-economic grounds. Applications can be made online the term prior to them turning the age of two, or you can contact the Early Year’s Manager who can make the application on your behalf. If your child has severe special educational needs (SEN) then additional funding can be sort. The funding would be allocated to enable your child to receive relevant support, either one to one, specialist equipment and maybe appropriate toys to aid development or to create pictorial support aids. You will be invited into our school for a Team Around the Child Meeting (TAC) with any other professional already involved to discuss the level and kind of support your child requires.

12. How is the decision made about what type and how much support my child/young person will receive?
If your child joins our school with a diagnosis in place, then a Team around the Child Meeting (TAC) will be organised with the relevant professionals already involved and yourself. The Special Educational Needs Coordinator (SENCo) and other professionals will then determine what support your child needs with your agreement and a ‘Support Plan’ will be put in place. If, however your child’s Key Person has observed your child and has identified that he/she requires support in a certain developmental area she will arrange a meeting with you to discuss strategies to be put in place. At this point with your agreement our Special Educational Needs
Coordinator (SENCo), may suggest an ‘Antecedents, Behaviour, Consequences, Communication, (ABCC Chart), if it is a behavioural concern or a ‘Support Plan’ relating to the area of support your child requires. This information is then recorded on the SEN document in the relevant classroom and reviewed on a date which has been agreed. If there are issues which arise from the Initial Assessment the Key Person will follow the above criteria and agree how to support your child. Your child will be monitored closely which ever process is in place.

13. How are parents involved in the setting/school/college? How can I be involved?
You are encouraged in many ways to involve yourself in the daily running of your school. You can contribute formally or informally. Our school has a group called Friends of Stockton House (FoSH). This is made up of parents and some staff members who volunteer their services free to raise money for our school. Other
ways is to fill a Poppy, Butterfly etc. in and place it on the tree in the classroom, message the teacher in the Home Link Books, offer to come in and help, join us on trips, share your experiences and/or skills, support our Sport’s Day/Summer Fayre, Christmas Fayre, come to our informal Parent’s evening or even ‘talk to us’. More formally you could write a letter, email, Facebook us, Twitter, Instagram or complete questionnaires and come to our formal Parent’s evening. Our staff are happy to consider any ideas or suggestions you may have for your child.

Additional Information:
Your first point of contact would be the Manager of our school, Mrs Jenny Bounds. Mrs Bounds is very approachable and will endeavour to answer any questions you may have regarding our school and its staff. If you would like to meet specific staff working in a particular area of the school, Mrs Bounds would be more than happy to try and arrange this for you and your child. Our school can be contacted by telephone on 01252 616323, or email or or Facebook, Twitter or Instagram or by letter to: FAO SEND, Stockton House School, Stockton Avenue, Fleet, Hants GU51 4NS.